STEERING GEAR (for Sedan) > INSPECTION
for Preparation Click here
|1. INSPECT TIE ROD END SUB-ASSEMBLY LH|
Secure the tie rod end sub-assembly LH in a vise.
- Do not overtighten the vise.
Install the nut onto the stud bolt.
Flip the ball joint back and forth 5 times.
Set a torque wrench to the nut, turn the ball joint continuously at a rate of 3 to 5 seconds per turn, and check the turning torque on the 5th turn.
- Standard turning torque:
- 0.29 to 1.96 N*m (2.96 to 20.0 kgf*cm, 2.57 to 17.3 in.*lbf)
- If turning torque is not within the specified range, replace the tie rod end sub-assembly LH with a new one.
|2. INSPECT TIE ROD END SUB-ASSEMBLY RH|
- Perform the same procedure as for the LH side.
|3. INSPECT TOTAL PRELOAD|
Using SST and a torque wrench, inspect the total preload.
- Standard preload:
- 0.6 to 1.2 N*m (6.1 to 12.2 kgf*cm, 5.3 to 10.6 in.*lbf)
- Inspect around the steering rack center position.
- If the total preload is not within the specified range, replace the steering gear assembly with a new one.