STEERING GEAR (for Hatchback) > INSPECTION
for Preparation Click here
|1. INSPECT TIE ROD END SUB-ASSEMBLY LH|
Secure the tie rod end sub-assembly LH in a vise.
- Do not overtighten the vise.
Install the nut onto the stud bolt.
Flip the ball joint back and forth 5 times.
Set a torque wrench to the nut, turn the ball joint continuously at a rate of 2 to 4 seconds per turn, and check the turning torque on the 5th turn.
- Standard turning torque:
- 0.29 to 1.96 N*m (2.96 to 20.0 kgf*cm, 2.57 to 17.3 in.*lbf)
- If turning torque is not within the specified range, replace the tie rod end sub-assembly LH with a new one.
|2. INSPECT TIE ROD END SUB-ASSEMBLY RH|
- Perform the same procedure as for the LH side.
|3. INSPECT TOTAL PRELOAD|
Using SST, secure the steering gear in a vise.
Text in Illustration *1 Protective Tape
- Tape SST before use.
Using SST, fully turn the steering rack right and left 1 to 2 times to settle it.
Using SST and a torque wrench, turn the pinion at a fixed speed between 4 to 6 seconds and check the total turning torque.
- Standard preload:
Tire Size preload P195/50R16 0.57 to 1.17 N*m (5.9 to 11.9 kgf*cm, 5.1 to 10.3 in.*lbf) except P195/50R16 0.6 to 1.2 N*m (6.1 to 12.2 kgf*cm, 5.3 to 10.6 in.*lbf)
- Remove the steering rack boot before measurement.
- Inspect around the steering rack center position.
- If the total preload is not within the specified range, replace the steering gear assembly with a new one.